When it comes to stain removal the number one influencing factor for a successful stain removal is, treating the stain as soon as possible. Most spots/stains regardless of what they are made of can be successfully removed while they are still fresh.
Grime Fighters Technicians are stain removal specialists with our high attention to detail and premium quality products we are able to remove many of the most demanding stains. If anyone can successfully remove your stain we can. If required many permanent stains can even be repaired with one of our carpet repair procedures redyeing or even cutting out the stained area and replacing it.
Normal spot and stain removal is a part of our cleaning process. Any stains remaining after the cleaning process that require specialised treatments such as heat transfer or spot dyeing can be discussed and quoted immediately after cleaning.
Given spills don’t always occur at convenient times when you can easily call the first available carpet cleaner. Its times like this when a little bit of knowledge goes a long way.
Never use store bought spot & stain removers. More often than not these products are too harsh for many carpets and as a result can remove colour from the carpet, leave a sticky residue behind or set the stain making removal at a later stage impossible even by the most experienced stain removal technicians.
The perfect stain removal kit made from common household items:
- White or old colourfast cotton towels/nappies or rolls of absorbent paper towel
- Clear hand dishwashing liquid (e.g. Dawn)
- White vinegar
- Carbonated or soda water
- Empty spray bottles
- White cotton cloths
- Absorbent sponges
Simple procedures to safely remove most stains
By following a few simple procedures you should be able to safely treat most stains without causing irreversible damage.
If spill is fresh, blot up as much as possible with a white or colourfast cotton towel, or wad of absorbent paper towel. If spill contains solids use a spoon or dull knife to remove any solids by scraping from outside edge towards the centre and scoop it up. This avoids spreading the stain.
If dry, spray or apply with a sponge a small amount of cold water or carbonated water over the spill and work it in with the spoon to attempt to re-liquefy then start the blotting process. For dried solids use a spoon and vacuum cleaner to remove as much as possible before adding moisture.
Use a fresh part of the towel or fresh wad of paper towel and apply pressure or stand on it to blot. Repeat this procedure until no more residue from the spill transfers to the towel.
- Mix a solution of ¼ teaspoon of clear hand dishwashing detergent with 1 cup of warm (not hot) water and stir gently.
- Apply detergent solution directly to a white cloth. Dampen the carpet fibres in the stained area with the cloth. Avoid saturating the carpet.
- Wipe or dab lightly, turning the cloth frequently. If necessary, use your finger tips to work the solution into the base of the stain. Never rub, scrub or use a brush. This may permanently damage fibres.
- Wet stained area with clear lukewarm water to rinse. A spray bottle works well for this step. Avoid over wetting.
- Use a fresh area of your to towel or fresh wad of paper towels apply pressure or stand on them to blot.
- Repeat rinsing and blotting procedures until you are sure all traces of the detergent solution have been removed.
When treating urine stains follow with Step 2
- If the stain is gone place a fresh absorbent towel or 1 centimetre thick wad of paper towel over the cleaned area and weigh it down with a heavy colourfast object such as a pile of magazines in a plastic bag.
- Replace towels for fresh ones regularly until the carpet dries
If the stain remains you can find additional spotting procedures in our spot removal guide or if you would prefer to get it done by the professionals you should have at least made the spill safe enough that it can wait until you can get someone out to remove what’s left of the stain without effecting chance of successful removal.
Step 2: Urine Stains
- Mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 2 cups of water
- Apply vinegar solution, rinse and blot as outlined above
Let Grime Fighters exceed your Stain Removal expectations, or WOW you with any of our premier services today! For bookings and enquiries call toll-free on 1300 399 999 or enquire online…