Indoor Air Quality (I.A.Q)
People today have become increasingly aware of the effect indoor air quality has on our health. Studies of human exposure to air pollutants by the EPA indicate indoor levels of pollutants may be 2 to 5 times and occasionally 100 times, higher than outside levels. Indoor pollutants have been ranked amongst the top five environmental risks to public health.
The problems they cause can be subtle and do not always produce easily identified or immediate impacts on health. Inside air is often trapped within a structure allowing contaminants to build up, especially in the colder months.
Most of the dust in our homes contains mould, dust mites, pollen and pet dander. These pollutants travel through the air and can antagonize breathing problems such as asthma and allergies. Ducted heating and air conditioning systems are a lot like a building’s respiratory system that circulates the indoor air throughout our structures.
These systems can consequently become hazardous breeding grounds for allergy causing contaminants as well as odours or even dead rodents and other pests. It is recommended you have your ducts cleaned when necessary or every 3 to 5 years. Standard disposable filters only stop about 10% of airborne contaminants, leaving 90%
of the dust in the room to flow back into the system.
A properly cleaned system that is correctly maintained with a high resistance filter installed can remain in good condition for 3 to 7 years. This can vary depending on the environment.
You might need to shorten the period if there are people with allergies, smokers or pets that shed a lot of hair or dander. If your environment is well maintained with regular dusting, vacuuming and you have your carpets and floors cleaned on a regular basis, 5 to 7 years might be sufficient.
Other suitable times we would recommend cleaning are after remodeling or prior to occupancy of a new property.
- Do you notice dirt around the heating or air conditioning vent?
- Does your finger collect dirt as you wipe it across your desk or filing cabinets?
All these situations are tell-tale signs of indoor air pollution spread by dirty HVAC systems!
Benefits of a Clean Air System
- A clean HVAC system performs far more efficiently at a decreased energy cost.
- Properly maintaining the mechanical components will help them last longer while reducing costly system repairs.
- Clean air systems lessen the chances of indoor air pollution affecting a building and may help to avoid health or comfort complaints by occupants.
- A commitment to improved indoor air quality provides better relationships between management and the tenants.
- Building occupants with staff effected by indoor air pollution often see reductions in employee downtime or sick days, increasing productivity.
- Tenant retention rates are greater in buildings that have superior indoor air quality.
- Tenants perceive higher value in buildings with regular air system maintenance.
Our 5 recommendations for clean, healthy air:
If you’re thinking about having your air ducts cleaned, we encourage you to follow these five recommendations:
- Make a commitment to get your air ducts cleaned. The longer you wait, the longer you expose yourself and your family or employees to possible contaminants. Further more, the sooner you get your air ducts cleaned, the sooner you will have the confidence that your air quality is good and your system is running efficiently.
- Juggle the pros and cons of settling for a company offering cheaper prices as opposed to one that upholds honesty and commitment to their cleaning services. Your family deserves the best.
- Before you hire a duct cleaner, ask them the following questions:
- How do I know when my air ducts need cleaning?
- How often should I get my air ducts cleaned?
- Are you properly insured?
- What type of equipment do you use?
- Is your equipment Hepa filtered or externally extracted?
- What Guarantees do you have?
- Once you are satisfied that your chosen duct cleaner is a competent professional, invite them to your home or office and ask for a specific quote in writing. A written quote gives you assurance that you know exactly what your job will cost… No surprises.
- Use high efficiency filters. We highly recommend using electrostatic air filters. They remove pollen, dust and airborne pollutants with a peak air resistance of 94%. Electrostatic air filters are durable and are quick and easy to clean.These five recommendations are all you need to make an informed decision the next time you have your ducts cleaned.
We are always happy to answer any of your questions, or come to your home or office and provide written quotes without cost or obligation of any kind. To schedule your Duct Cleaning Service/Quote or call 1300 399 999